CADWALLADER BLAYNEY. A biographical record of Washington county would be incomplete were not special mention made in its pages of the Blayneys, who have their descent from an illustrious family of that name, for many years residents of Ireland. Cadwallader Blayney, a Welshman by birth, and a gallant officer in the British army of long ago, for meritorious services to his country was made a general, and soon thereafter was given an estate in Ireland, the mansion on which came to be known as "Blayney Castle," while the new occupant was raised to the peerage of the title of "Lord Blayney." This lord had a brother, a rector in the Established Church of England. For twelve generations Castle Blayney has been represented by a Cadwallader Blayney, that being the name of each succeeding son-in-heir, and the tenth Lord Blayney, the great-grandfather of the subject of this memoir, had several sons, one of whom, Cadwallader, became the grandfather. He was a wealthy landowner, and in early pioneer times came to America, making a settlement in Ohio county, W. Va., but on the death of his wife he made his home with his son, Henry, during the remainder of his life.
Henry Blayney was born in Ireland in 1792, and was there married to Jane Rogers, by whom one child, Mary, was born in their native land. In 1832 Henry and his family came with his father to this country, and here were born to him six more children, viz.: Hannah, Jane Cadwallader, Margaret, Henry, John R. and Elizabeth Ann. Henry Blayney finally settled in West Finley township, where he died on his farm in February, 1873, honored and respected by all who knew him. His wife died December 22, 1847 he was a leading member of the Presbyterian Church of West Alexander, and in politics was a stanch Democrat.
Cadwallader Blayney, the subject of these lines, was born July 12, 1829, in Ohio county, W. Va., where he received his education. When a young man he came to the farm in west Finely township, this county, where he has since resided, engaged in agricultural pursuits. When he first started out for himself, his uncle gave him a colt, and this was the beginning from which, by industry, perseverance and thrift he has achieved the success that brought him a competence for his declining years. His first purchase was an old water-power gristmill that is still standing, adjoining his residence in Good Intent. This mill he operated eleven years, and then bought a farm near Good Intent, on which he lived six years, at the end of which time he moved into the village, and here embarked in mercantile business which he conducted nineteen years. He then sold out his store and retired to his farm above referred to. Mr. Blayney was twice married: first time to Miss Elizabeth Rogers (January 13, 1853), who bore him eight children, viz.: John R., Henry B., William L., Ida Jane, Belleville C., Elmer E., Orange Griffith and Cadwallader, of whom the last two died in infancy. The mother of this family died February 2, 1872, and Mr. Blayney afterward married Miss Jennie Blayney, a cousin, a daughter of John Blayney, a native of Ireland, whom the last Lord Blayney (who died childless) named as his heir, in his will. This John Blayney came to the United States in 1848, and there made his home until the death, in 1875, of his wife, whose maiden name was Fanny Alcorn, when he came to live with our subject. On the death of the last Lord Blayney, inquiry was made for "Uncle John," as the heir by will was familiarly known; they discovered, however, that a John Blayney, a minister, had died a few months before, and concluding that he was the last heir, returned to England, and made their report accordingly. The Blayney estate in Ireland, having thus no immediate heir to it, reverted to the Crown. "Uncle John" Blayney is still living at the patriarchal age of ninety-four years, making his home with his daughter, Mrs. C. W. Blayney. By his second marriage Mr. Cadwallader Blayney had five children, as follows: Edward C., born July 13, 1873; Freddie L. and a twin, born December 4, 1875, both deceased, the former November 7, 1879, the latter in infancy; Harold L., born October 17, 1879, and Fannie, born May 25, 1883, died June 7, same year. Mr. Blayney has been very successful in all his business relations, and has accumulated a considerable amount of property, being now the owner of over 300 acres of prime land, also owning a storeroom and several dwelling houses in Good Intent. He is a member of the Windy Gap Cumberland Presbyterian Church, which he has served as trustee, and socially, is popular and highly respected. Politically he has been a Democrat, but not active in his party, and during Hayes' administration, at the request of his Republican friends, he was appointed postmaster of Good Intent, which office he held until selling out his store. He also held various township offices conferred upon him by the people irrespective of party.
Text taken from page 477 of:
Beers, J. H. and Co., Commemorative Biographical Record of Washington County, Pennsylvania (Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1893).
[ [Back to Beers Table of Contents] [Back to Beers Project Page]