GRAHAM S. CAMPBELL, cashier of the First National Bank of McDonald, Penn, is descended from a well-known family of this county. John Campbell (the great-grandfather of Graham S.) was a native of York county, Penn., and moving to Washington county about 1778, located on a tract of 191 acres, called "Fumanah," in Cross Creek township. His family consisted of six sons and three daughters, namely: John, William and James (all of whom moved to Belmont county, Ohio), David, Charles and George (these remaining in Cross Creek township, where some of their descendants are yet living), Grace (wife of Maj. Benjamin Bay, moved to Ohio in 1812), Elizabeth (married to William Rea) and Mary (Mrs. William Fulton, living in Mt. Pleasant township). The father died in 1813, and was laid to rest in the cemetery at Cross Creek. George Campbell grew to manhood on the home farm, in Cross Creek township. He was united in marriage with Elizabeth Rea, who bore him the following children: John, Jane, William, Mary, Samuel, George W., Elizabeth, Esther, James and Georgetta. Mr. Campbell followed agriculture all his life. In politics he was a Whig, and in religion a member of the Presbyterian Church at Mount Prospect.
George W. Campbell was born September 26, 1826, and passed his youth on the home place. In early manhood he was married to Charlotte, daughter of James Wilson, of West Pike Run township, and the young people resided in Cross Creek township until 1867. They then came to Midway, Robinson township, and in 1809 built the Midway Hotel, of which he was the proprietor until his death, having previously followed farming and stock raising. In politics he was formerly a Whig, then became an active worker in the Republican ranks, having held various township offices. For many years he was a member of the Presbyterian Church at Mount Prospect, then at Cross Creek, finally uniting with the church at Candor, this county. He died September 4, 1885, leaving the following children: Wilson S., Graham S. and Elida (Mrs. W. H. Baldwin), two others, Johnetta and Mary, having died in infancy.
Graham S., son of George W. and Charlotte (Wilson) Campbell, was born September 14, 1860, on the home farm, in Cross Creek township. His early literary training was secured at the common schools, afterward attending the Ingleside Academy, at McDonald. At the age of eighteen years he entered the employ of J. D. Sauters, of McDonald, Penn., with whom he remained eleven years. He then opened a real estate and insurance office, in which business he was successful. On the organization of the First National Bank of McDonald, he disposed of his business and accepted the position of cashier, which position he now holds. On December 18, 1884, he led to the marriage altar Annie, daughter of Addison Foster (deceased), formerly of Pittsburgh, Penn., and their children are George, Verner, Ross and James. Mr. Campbell possesses the confidence of the community, and is a very successful man. In 1890 he was elected justice of the peace, being an active member of the Republican party. He and his family are earnest workers in the First Presbyterian Church at McDonald, in which he is now member of the Session and superintendent of the Sabbath-school.
Text taken from page 119 of:
Beers, J. H. and Co., Commemorative Biographical Record of Washington County, Pennsylvania (Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1893).
[ [Back to Beers Table of Contents] [Back to Beers Project Page]