EBERMAN. In the year 1732 Johannes Eberman and his son, Johannes, left their ancestral home in Ebermanstadt, Germany, bound for America with the purpose in view of making it their home, and with the determination to assist in its conquest. The family owned large estates in the center of which was the town above named. As was the custom, they had their genealogical tree tracing the family back through many generations and through centuries of time. Early in its history for services rendered, the family, by royal grant, was given a coat of arms, and the motto thereon "Ad finem fidelis" has been a source of inspiration throughout successive generations.
With the pride of birth and station and the sturdy courage of the pioneer these two reached London and embarked for the land of their choice. The records in Philadelphia show that Sept. 19, 1832, the good ship "Johnson," of London, landed at that port, and in the passenger list are the names of Johannes Eberman and son, Johannes, a lad under sixteen years of age. These were the first of the name to land on American soil, and the elder was the great-great-great- grandfather of John S. Eberman, a personal sketch of whom follows. They remained at Philadelphia but a short time, and then removed to Lancaster, same State, where they at once became identified with public affairs. On Dec. 22, 1743, the son married Juliana Schweich, and their son John, on April 23, 1772, married Elizabeth Frank.
John's interest in municipal affairs led him to present to the town of Lancaster a large clock which was placed in the town hall. When the courthouse was built the clock was put therein and for more than 100 years has been repaired and wound by the Eberman family, and at present continues to be the timepiece of the city. In "Pennsylvania Archives" it is related that Christopher Eberman did gallant service in the Continental line of the Second Pennsylvania Regiment during our struggle for independence. In the Moravian Church records of Lancaster is the complete genealogy of the family from 1732 to the present.
About the year 1815 Jacob, son of Gottlieb, son of Johannes removed from Lancaster to Westmoreland county, and settled upon a large tract of land in that county. He was married to Jane Anderson, a native of Ireland, who bore him the following children: William, Rebecca, George M., W. A., Elizabeth and Samuel. Mr. Eberman was a Democrat in political opinion, and in religion supported the M. E. Church. He followed building and carpentry in Pittsburgh for several years, then moved to Elizabeth, Allegheny county, in 1829, where he died.
GEORGE M. EBERMAN was born April 29, 1821, and reared on the home farm in Westmoreland county, Penn., and attended the subscription schools of the vicinity. At the age of fourteen years he began clerking in a store where he remained until 1854, when he embarked in a general mercantile business in California, Penn. In 1859 he opened a ship-building yard in company with William McFall, and they conducted that business until 1879, when they dissolved partnership, and he commenced in his present general store in California, the firm now being known as Hart & Co. Politically Mr. Eberman has been a zealous worker in the Whig and Republican parties, and has served as a member of the council, school director and in several other offices. He has always been deeply interested in the educational work of his locality, and for the past twenty-five years has been a trustee of the Southwestern State Normal School, at California, of which he was the first treasurer. He and his wife are members of the M. E. Church, and he has been a trustee of same for several years. In early manhood Mr. Eberman was married to Ellen, daughter of Peter Wilson, of Elizabeth, Allegheny Co., Penn., and the names of the children born to them are as follows: Sidney, Albert, Mary, Elizabeth, Rebecca, Anna, George, John S., Charles, Wilson and Cora.
JOHN S. EBERMAN, son of George M. and Ellen Eberman, was born March 6, 1859, in California, Washington Co., Penn. He received a public-school education, and then attended the Southwestern State Normal School, at California, from which he graduated in 1878. After graduating he entered the employ of J. W. Smith, a druggist of California, remaining there until 1882, and then formed a partnership with Miss Jennie Smith in the drug business. In 1888 he purchased her interest, and has since continued the establishment, carrying on a full line of drugs and sundries, and by good management has secured a large and profitable custom. On October 23, 1886, he was married to Mary G., daughter of John Guffey. Mr. Eberman is identified with the Republican party, has served in various local offices, and in 1882 he was appointed postmaster at California, holding that position until the election of Cleveland as President, when he resigned. He has served as director of the First National Bank of California since that institution was first incorporated, and has been treasurer of the Southwestern State Normal School for the past seven years. In religious connection he is a zealous member of the M. E. Church. He has in his possession a book which has been in the family for 118 years, and a number of deeds and articles almost as ancient. He is in correspondence with a branch of the family in Stuttgart, Germany, who own the leading banking house there, and who have sent him the very interesting early history of the family.
Text taken from page 1122 of:
Beers, J. H. and Co., Commemorative Biographical Record of Washington County, Pennsylvania (Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1893).
Transcribed March 1997 by Neil and Marilyn Morton of Oswego, IL as part of the Beers Project.
Published March 1997 on the Washington County, PA USGenWeb pages at http://www.chartiers.com/.
[ [Back to Beers Table of Contents] [Back to Beers Project Page]