JOHN G. JOHNSON, a successful business man of Cross Creek township, is another example of what patience, industry and enterprise can accomplish. He is a son of John Johnson, of Canonsburg, Penn., whose father was Richard Johnson. The latter was a native of County Down, Ireland, and immigrated to America in early manhood, settling near Canonsburg, this county, in about 1800. He was married to a Miss Bradford, a resident of Canonsburg, and children were born to them as follows: George, David (a resident of Steubenville, Ohio), Mary (Mrs. Thomas Allison), Elizabeth (widow of John Stockton), John (living in Canonsburg) and William (a physician).
John Johnson was born in 1806, on the farm near Canonsburg now occupied by R. V. Johnson, and was reared to manhood on the home place. He was married to Miss Rebecca VanEman, of Cecil township, Washington county, a daughter of Joseph VanEman, who was a prominent farmer of that vicinity. After their marriage the young people settled on the home place, where their three children were born, namely: R. V., a farmer and civil engineer of North Strabane township, this county; J. B., a farmer and dairyman of Chartiers township, this county; and John G., the subject of our present sketch. Shortly before his death, which occurred October 9, 1888, Mr. Johnson retired to Canonsburg, there passing his declining years.
John G. Johnson was born November 13, 1845, on the old home farm near Canonsburg, where his boyhood was spent. He attended the academy at Beaver, Penn., afterward beginning an active business life as a farmer and stock dealer, following that vocation until within the past few years, and making a trip to Pittsburgh with stock nearly every week. In June, 1874, he was united in marriage with Miss Annie K. Morrison, of Chartiers township, this county, and four children have blessed their union, namely: George L., William M., John (deceased in infancy) and Earnest. Mr. Johnson owns 166 acres of good land, two houses and lots in Canonsburg, a storeroom and dwelling, and three good houses in Burgettstown. In politics he has been a stanch Republican, although never caring to take an active part in the turmoil of political warfare. Mr. Johnson is now living in a beautiful home, situated at the eastern extremity of Cross Creek village, and is enjoying the fruits of a life of industry.
Text taken from page 559 of:
Beers, J. H. and Co., Commemorative Biographical Record of Washington County, Pennsylvania (Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1893).
Transcribed June 1997 by Marion L. Smith of San Diego, CA as part of the Beers Project.
Published June 1997 on the Washington County, PA USGenWeb pages at http://www.chartiers.com/.
[ [Back to Beers Table of Contents] [Back to Beers Project Page]