JAMES TAGGART MARQUIS was born October 9, 1825, on the farm in Jefferson township, this county, which is now his home. His grandfather, John Marquis, was a native of Wales, and, coming to America, settled near Baltimore, Md., where he remained but a short time. He then came to Cross Creek township, and located on the farm where he died. His wife was formerly Sarah Griffith, a native of Virginia, and they were the parents of nine children six sons and three daughters namely: Thomas, John, Mary, Sarah, Edward, Robert, James, Anne and William.
John Marquis (father of subject) was born January 10, 1784, and was trained from early youth to the duties of a pioneer farm. He enlisted in the war of 1812, remaining in the service till the close of the conflict. On November 16, 1816, he married Elizabeth Taggart, and they had a family of seven children, namely: Samuel F., M. D., Julia A., Margaret, James T., John R., Sarah J. and William E., of whom are yet living William E., in New Cumberland, W. Va., and James T., subject of the present sketch.
James Taggart Marquis was early in life inducted into the mysteries of agricultural pursuits, which have always been his vocation. On January 31, 1861, he was united in marriage with Miss Mary Bucher, a school teacher, daughter of Abner Bucher (who was also a school teacher in early life), and nine children have been born to them, namely: John A., Lizzie R. (wife of Rev. J. B. Lyle), Lawrence Verne, Julia Belle, Mary Lee, Lulu Pauline, Maggie Lenora (called by the tender Shepherd to His Bosom in infancy), James Taggart (triumphantly entered into rest March 28, 1890), and Nannie Archer. Mr. Marquis has always resided on the home farm, and is the owner of 100 acres of land. His children are all well educated, several of them having graduated: John A. is a graduate of Washington and Jefferson College, Washington, Penn, also of the Western Theological Seminary, Allegheny, Penn., now pastor of the Westminster Presbyterian Church, Greensburg, Penn.; Lizzie R. and Mary both graduated from Blairsville Ladies' Seminary (subsequently Mary taught three years in this same institution); Lulu and Belle attended the Blairsville Seminary (Belle is now engaged in teaching in the High School Department of Brainerd Institute, Chester, S. C.). In religious connection the family are all members of the Cross Creek Presbyterian Church, of which Mr. Marquis has been a ruling elder since his ordination, March 14, 1880.
For historical sketch of the ancestry of Mr. Marquis see history of Marquises elsewhere in this work.
Text taken from page 921 of:
Beers, J. H. and Co., Commemorative Biographical Record of Washington County, Pennsylvania (Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1893).
Transcribed January 1997 by Neil and Marilyn Morton of Oswego, IL as part of the Beers Project.
Published January 1997 on the Washington County, PA USGenWeb pages at http://www.chartiers.com/.
[ [Back to Beers Table of Contents] [Back to Beers Project Page]