JOSEPH H. PHILIPS is a son of Isaac Philips, whose father, David, was the leading pioneer preacher of Peters township.
Rev. David Philips was born in 1742, in Wales, and emigrating thence many years ago, first settled in Chester county, Penn., where he was married to Miss Mary Thomas. The young couple then came to Washington county, Penn., and took up 400 acres of land on the boundary line of Washington and Allegheny counties, for which a patent was secured March 4, 1786. Prior to locating in Peters township, David Philips had been a captain in the Revolutionary war, and in religious connection was a member of the Great Valley Baptist Church. After settling in Washington county, he served forty years as pastor of the Peters Creek Baptist Church, the land upon which the church is now standing having formerly been a portion of his property. The following children were born to this couple: Isaac, Josiah, David, Thomas, Benjamin, Joseph, Joseph (2), John, Mary, David (2), Martha and Rachel (twins) and Sarah. During the Civil war a full company of the descendants of Rev. David Philips took and active part in the contest, and nearly 1,000 of his descendants are yet living.
Isaac Philips, son of David and Mary, was born in 1787, on the home farm in Peters township, Washington Co., Penn. When a young man he was married to Nancy Leddie, a resident of Canonsburg, Penn. She was reared to womanhood by Col. Morgan, a soldier of the Revolution, and founder of the Morganza Reform School. Mr. and Mrs. Philips began wedded life on the home farm, where he erected the dwelling which is now the home of his son. Here their children were born as follows: Sarah, Isabella, David, Mary, Jane, Joseph H., Dr. James L., Joshua (a minister, of Cleveland, Ohio) and Lucinda.
Joseph H. Philips, whose name opens this sketch, was born August 31, 1822, on the old homestead in Peters township. In 1846 he was united in marriage with Mary K. Foster, who bore him two children, Joseph and Mary (twins), who died in infancy. The mother died in 1848, and on February 14, 1850, he made a second choice in the person of Mary J., daughter of James McKnight, of Allegheny county, Penn. Ten children have blessed their union, namely: Samantha J., Warren J., Flora, Nannie B., Louisa, Elizabeth M., Miranda, Elmer M., Mary E. and an infant. In political opinion Mr. Philips is a Republican, and has served in various local offices; in religion he is a member of the Baptist Church, and has led the choir for fifty years.
Text taken from page 580 of:
Beers, J. H. and Co., Commemorative Biographical Record of Washington County, Pennsylvania (Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1893).
Transcribed February 1998 by Bettie Morrow of Bethel Park, PA as part of the Beers Project.
Published February 1998 on the Washington County, PA USGenWeb pages at http://www.chartiers.com/.
[ Back to Beers Table of Contents] [Back to Beers Project Page]