JOHN P. SCOTT, a prosperous, popular and cultured citizen of Cecil township, is a son of John, and grandson of John Scott. John Scott (the grandfather) was born in 1777, at Mingo creek, Washington Co., Penn., of Scotch parents, and was married to Esther Phillips. In 1800 they moved to Mt. Pleasant township, Washington county, locating on 305 acres of land, which was originally a portion of the George Washington survey. They were members of the Associate Reformed Church at Robinson's Run, in which he was a ruling elder. He died February 19, 1817, and July 19 of the same year his life companion was laid by his side. They were the parents of the following children: Hannah (born 1801, married to Capt. John Young, of Allegheny county, Penn.), Esther (born 1811, wife of William Gribben, Allegheny county), Rachel (Mrs. Allen Dunn, of Pittsburgh, Penn.), Elizabeth (born 1803, wife of John Cairus, of Pittsburgh, Penn. ), a daughter Mary (born in 1805, died in early womanhood), Samuel (born 1807, died more than fifty years ago in Allegheny county), Jonathan (born 1809, moved West) and John (whose sketch follows). The parents were among the earliest of early settlers in Allegheny county.
John Scott was born in 1813, on the home farm in Mt. Pleasant township, where his boyhood days were passed. On August 29, 1836, he was united in marriage to Ann White, who was born in 1815, in Smith township, this county, and the young people settled on a farm in Mt. Pleasant township, where four children were born to them: Mary (deceased February 13, 1889, aged fifty-one years, seven months and fifteen days), born in 1837, was married in September, 1858, to R. W. Lawrence, of Independence township; John P., whose name opens this sketch; William J. (deceased March 25, 1873), born June 25, 1841 (entered the service for a thirty days' call to Gettysburg), and married Sarah A. Douglas in 1863, settled in Cecil township; and Samuel Wilson (died in April, 1888), born August 1, 1852, and married April 27, 1881, to Miss Anna M. May. Mr. and Mrs. John Scott were first members of the Associate Reformed Church at Robinson's Run, and in 1850 united with the Associate Reformed Church at Venice, this county. In 1858 they became members of the U. P. Church, of which Mr. Scott was elected an elder, but refused to serve. He died June 10, 1887, his widow passing away January 31, 1892.
John P. Scott was born April 17, 1839, in Mt. Pleasant township, and attended the common schools of the neighborhood. On January 1, 1861, he was united in marriage with Mary Ann Cook. Her father, Robert Cook, was born June 2, 1805, in Cecil township, and on April 23, 1835, made choice of a wife in the person of Mary Gladden, who was born August 15, 1798. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Cook settled on the farm now occupied by their daughter, Mary A. He was a farmer, taking an active part in the politics of the Democratic party, and in religion was a member of the now United Presbyterian Church at Robinson's Run, afterward uniting with the church at Venice, this county. Mrs. Cook died July 22, 1842, leaving two daughters: Mary Ann (Mrs. Scott) and Anna E. (living in Cecil township). On February 27, 1844, the father was married to Rebecca Glendenen, who bore him one child, deceased in infancy. Mr. Cook died January 6, 1857, followed by his widow August 30, 1886, in her eighty-first year.
John P. and Mary Ann (Cook) Scott began married life on the farm in Cecil township where they are yet living. He taught school three years in Mt. Pleasant and Cecil townships, having since been engaged in cultivating the farm, containing 280 fertile acres. Among the many improvements which have been made may be mentioned the erection of a good, commodious barn, 42 by 62 feet. Mr. Scott makes a specialty of raising Delaine wool Merino sheep. In politics he is a strong adherent of the Prohibition party, and has been a candidate for county commissioner. In religious faith he and his wife are members of the U. P Church at Venice, in which he is an elder, having been elected to that office August 28, 1864. Five children have gladdened the home of Mr. and Mrs. Scott, namely: Robert Cook, born May 17, 1862; Anna (married on January 1, 1890, to James R. White, has one child, John Lee), born September 10, 1864; John Elmer, born March 19, 1867 (married October 26, 1892, to Luella Bell McPeak); William Lawrence (graduated at Westminster Penn., with class of '91, now attending the Medical Department of the University of Pennsylvania at Philadelphia), born April 7, 1870, and George Wilson, born July 22, 1878.
Text taken from page 1296 of:
Beers, J. H. and Co., Commemorative Biographical Record of Washington County, Pennsylvania (Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1893).
Transcribed February 1997 by Neil and Marilyn Morton of Oswego, IL as part of the Beers Project.
Published February 1997 on the Washington County, PA USGenWeb pages at http://www.chartiers.com/.
[ [Back to Beers Table of Contents] [Back to Beers Project Page]