R. S. WILSON is a representative of an early family of Washington county. He is a grandson of Alexander and Betsey (McGibboney) Wilson, natives of eastern Pennsylvania, who came to Washington county and made a permanent settlement in Chartiers township, where their son John was born.
John Wilson was born in 1776, on the pioneer farm in Chartiers township, and in early manhood was there married to Margaret Smith, who was born in Ireland, and immigrated with her parents to America when but a child. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Wilson settled permanently in Somerset township, Washington county. He was drafted and served in the war of 1812. In politics he was a member of the Democratic party, and in religion he and his wife were members of the old Pigeon Creek Presbyterian Church. He died in 1850, followed ten years later by his wife, who had borne him children, as follows: James (living in Indiana), Elizabeth (Mrs. Jacob Yant deceased in 1888, in Ohio), Hannah (wife of Emery Leyda, deceased in August, 1891, in Somerset township), Mary Jane (Mrs. John Messenger, of Somerset township), Margaret (who died in 1890, in Allegheny, wife of Andrew Atkinson, of Pittsburgh), John W. (living in Somerset township), Harvey (residing at Vanceville, Somerset township), R. S. (whose sketch follows), Sarah Ann (Mrs. Hiram Myer, of Somerset township), Isabelle (wife of William Milligan, of Gastonville, Penn.), Rachel (deceased in 1856), and Martha (wife of Samuel Wright, of Somerset township).
R. S. Wilson was born June 26, 1834, in Somerset township, Washington county, where he grew to manhood, receiving a district-school education. In 1858 he was united in marriage with Susan, daughter of Simon and Rebecca (Crawford) Wilson, all of whom were born in Fallowfield township, this county. Her father died in 1863, followed by the mother in 1867. After his marriage R. S. Wilson resided in Somerset township until 1880, when he bought and moved upon 117 acres in Fallowfield township. He is a member of the Democratic party, and has served as road supervisor and also as a member of the school board. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Wilson are: John, who was married in 1890 to Lydia Weddle, and is now living in McKeesport, Allegheny Co., Penn.; Elmer Ellsworth, residing at Lock No. 4, who was married July 4, 1883, to Laura Province; Florence wife of A. McGowan, of Lock No. 4, and Bertha, wife of West Piper, living at Charleroi, this county.
Text taken from page 1375 of:
Beers, J. H. and Co., Commemorative Biographical Record of Washington County, Pennsylvania (Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1893).
Transcribed January 1997 by Neil and Marilyn Morton of Oswego, IL as part of the Beers Project.
Published January 1997 on the Washington County, PA USGenWeb pages at http://www.chartiers.com/.
[ [Back to Beers Table of Contents] [Back to Beers Project Page]