LEWIS ZEDIKER, one of the oldest members of the family of that name in Washington county, and a citizen of South Strabane, was born in that township January 27, 1827.
John Zediker, grandfather of our subject, was a native of eastern Pennsylvania, and in their youth he and his brother David, having an eye to the grandeur and fertility of the then "far West," set out to "spy the land," ostensibly on a hunting expedition, and finally arriving in Washington county, they were so fascinated with the beauties and attractions of South Strabane township, that they here resolved to remain and cast their lot. John had, while in eastern Pennsylvania, learned the trade of blacksmith, which he carried on for many years in the county of his adoption. Soon after his arrival he married Margaret, daughter of Ludwig Smith, who was among the earliest settlers of the county, and the children born to this union were Lewis, Susan (Mrs. Joseph Hallam), Elizabeth (Mrs. George Smith), Julia A. (Mrs. Jame Schwisher), Mary (Mrs. Matthew Dook) and John. Mr. Smith took a "tomahawk claim" of nearly a thousand acres of wild land, a part of which is now occupied by the subject of this sketch. He early identified himself with the politics of his section, and was prominent among the Federalists. In church matters he also took an active interest, and in the organization of the Lutheran Church in Amwell township he was a prominent factor. In this Society he was an elder for many years.
John Zediker, father of the gentleman whose name opens this sketch, was born December 11, 1800, in South Strabane township, this county, and received his education in the subscription schools of the neighborhood. He was married to Margaret, daughter of James Guthrie, and they reared five children, namely: Lewis, Susan, Thomas, John and James. After marriage Mr. and Mrs. John Zediker settled on a farm in South Strabane township, where they passed the remainder of their days, Mr. Zediker dying November 6, 1874, Mrs. Zediker February 18, 1881. They were active members of the M. E. Church, and among its most liberal supporters; politically Mr. Zediker was a Whig of the old school.
The youth of the subject of these lines was passed on the home farm, and he attended, as circumstances permitted, the subscription schools of the neighborhood. He dutifully remained with his parents until their death, and after that event continued to reside under the parental roof, carrying on the duties of the farm in company with his brothers. They are among the largest landholders of South Strabane township, owning at the present time nearly 1,100 acres of choice land. Mr. Zediker is a member of the M. E. Church; in politics, originally a Whig, he has, since the organization of the Republican party, been one of its strongest supporters, and has been actively interested in the development and improvement of the educational system in his locality.
Text taken from page 1439 of:
Beers, J. H. and Co., Commemorative Biographical Record of Washington County, Pennsylvania (Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1893).
Transcribed January 1997 by Neil and Marilyn Morton of Oswego, IL as part of the Beers Project.
Published January 1997 on the Washington County, PA USGenWeb pages at http://www.chartiers.com/.
[ [Back to Beers Table of Contents] [Back to Beers Project Page]