Fallowfield Twp. (pp. 789-796)Fallowfield was the sixth of the original townships of Washington , formed soon after the erection of the county in 1781. The next year a part of it's territory was taken off in the formation by the Court of Quarters Sessions of the township of Somerset. On the 29th of August, 1788, certain "inhabitants of Fallowfield and Bethlehem townships" petitioned the court, setting forth "that the application to magistrates in cases whereof they have cognizance, from the too great extent of our townships", is rendered exceeding inconvenient as well as expensive to many of us; among other disadvantages, we beg leave to mention that the cost arising on actions brought for the recovery of small sums frequently exceed the debt to the great oppression of a number of good citizens." Wherefore the petitioners prayed the court " that be order from your honorable court a line be drawn as follows, viz: Beginning at the mouth of Ten-Mile Creek, and running up the said creek to William Montgomery's mill; thence with a straight line to Zephaniah Beall's, so as to exclude both, the said Montgomery's and Beall; from thence to Henry Coonrod's, including him, and then down that branch of Pike Run an which the said Coonrod lives, unto it's confluence with the Monongahela River; then up the said river to the place of beginning, so as to include a township separate from the Bethlehem and Fallowfield." And the petitioners added that if the court should think it more desirable to draw the line otherwise, "you'll be pleased to make such amendments as in your wisdom shall be judged expedient." This petition was signed by Joseph Dorsey, Barnabas McNamee, Thomas Bishop, William Sloan, David Ruble, William Buckingham, Barzilla Clarke, James Powell, George Myers, Joseph Brinton, and thirty seven others, but it was not granted by the court, and in the following year there was presented another petition, praying that "That part of Fallowfield township, viz: Beginning at Peter Drake's where the line dividing Bethlehem from East Bethlehem intersects the road leading from Redstone Old Fort to Washington; and thence with Somerset township to Henry Coonrod's to include him; and then down that branch of Pike run on which the said Coonrod lives to the Monongahela; thence up the river to the line of East Bethlehem, be added to East Bethlehem township, and that it be recommended by your honorable bench to the Executive Council to have the said township erected into an election district".
History of Washington County, Pennsylvania*
This petition made on the 25th of September, 1789 ( a petition for a division of Bethlehem into East and West Bethlehem townships having been presented in the mean time), was laid over and held under advisement by the court until April 23, 1792 when a order was issued erecting the township of Pike Run, to include territory as indicated previously belonging to Fallowfield. Again, on the 30th of September, 1834, a part of Fallowfield was set off in the formation of the township of Carroll; and on the 14th of June, 1853, by the erection of Allen township from a part of the remaining territory of Fallowfield, the latter township was reduced to its present area and limits, and giving it the following boundaries: North, Nottingham and Carroll townships; east, Allen township and the Monongahela River, which forms a part of its eastern boundary, and the Pigeon Creek, which passes through the northwestern part of the township, taking a northeasterly course, and flowing thence through Carroll township enters the river at Monongahela City.
Settlements. Fallowfield township, like all the northeastern part of the present county of Washington, was within the county of Yohogania, as claimed by Virginia, prior to the settlement of the boundary controversy between that State and Pennsylvania; and it was under chiefly Virginia certificates that the first settlers in this township held their lands. County is that of "Maiden's Hall," a tract of three hundred and seventy-five acres, for which Joseph Brinton granted a Virginia certificate, and which was surveyed to him by Col. William Crawford, May 2, 1780, as follows:
"Yohogania, May 2, 1780.
"Surveyed by virtue of a certificate granted by coms. appointed to settle and adjust claims to unpatented lands in the counties of Yohogania, Monongalia, and Ohio, for Joseph Brinton three hundred and seventy-five acres of land in said county agreeable to the above plan, one hundred and three acres there of the property now of Isaac Powell, and is described in the above plan.
"Signed Aug. 4, 1780
"John Brach, D. S., ye
The boundaries of the survey of Joseph Brinton's land place it next the lands of John Adams, John Buffington, Joseph Brown, and Isaac Powell, and it is only by this adjacent property that the tract can be located. In the assessment-roll or Fallowfield township for the year 1788 the names of Isaac Powell, John Adams, John Buffington, and Joseph Brown again appear as assessed upon land in the township, showing that they were still residents of this section. The survey of Joseph Brinton's land was made Jan 31, 1786.
Vincent Colvin was one of the earliest settlers in Fallowfield. he invested quite extensively in land, and was the possessor of many hundred acres, divided into five or six tracts, taken up at different times. "The Farm" was a tract or four hundred and seventy acres, situated on Pigeon Creek, adjoining the property of Joseph Plattor, Peter Cheserounds, and William McComber. He was granted this on a Virginia certificate dated March 28, 1780. "Triple Ford" was surveyed to him Jan. 5, 1787, containing two hundred acres. "Good Fortune" was the three hundred and twenty-one acre tract, granted on a Virginia certificate, which was surveyed to Mr. Colvin Feb. 22, 1788. Two other tracts, one having upwards of six hundred and the other about three hundred acres, were also surveyed to Mr. Colvin in 1780.
Vincent Colvin had a number of sons and daughters, to whom he left his property by his will, made Sept. 2, 1811, and proved April 22, 1812. To his son, Stephen Colvin, he left the two hundred acres comprising the homestead. The sons, John, Vincent, Jr., Joshua, Moses, and Lott, had smaller tracts varying in area. The daughters were Agnes, who became Mrs. Powell; Susanna, who married Mr. Wilson; Charlotte and Lucy, who each married a Mr. Frye; and Harriet Colvin.
Joseph and Christopher Graybill made early settlements in Fallowfield township, and each held Virginia certificates entitling them to large tracts of land here. The tract made up by Joseph Graybill, according to the early survey book, is bounded on the south by Sugar Camp Run, and on the north and east by Pigeon Creek and Cave Run. The land granted to Christopher Graybill was in the immediate vicinity of Joseph Graybill's property, and was surveyed to him on the same date. The land of Christopher Graybill adjoined the tracts of John Hall, Vincent Colvin, and John Cramer. Cave Run and Joseph Graybill's tract formed the northern, and Pigeon Creek the western boundary. On the map of that survey a mill two stories in height is shown as located at the bend of Pigeon Creek, some distance above the mouth of Cave Run. At the mouth of Sugar Camp Run a road crosses the tract east and west, which is called the Mill road. Another road branches off from the Mill road and crosses Cave Run, and near this point is marked a cave, from which the run probably received its name. A little distance above the mouth of Sugar Camp Run, and above the mill, is shown a still-house. The two tracts owned and occupied by Christopher and Joseph Graybill are still in possession of their descendants.
John Cramer was one of the settlers in Fallowfield township whose land was surveyed in the year 1780. Mr. Cramer's Virginia certificate granted him four hundred acres, which he located next the tracts of Vincent Colvin and --- Wallace, on the waters of Pigeon Creek. No further information is gained of him, nor does his name appear in the assessment-roll of the township for 1788. The roll of that year shows that Joseph Allen, Joseph Carter, Samuel Dixon, Robert and John Jackman, Thomas Parkison, and William Parker were owners of saw-mills, Nathan Heald, Benjamin Hinds, Robert and John Jackman, James Young owned grist-mills, and Thomas Parkison owned two grist-mills. Peter Carner, Neal Gillespie, and Thomas Pew were proprietors of ferries. Nicholas Crist, Vincent Colvin, Henry Conrad, John Crow, Mathew Deems, John Dunn, John Hopkins, Jr., Daniel Hamilton, George Nox, William Nitterfield, David Ritchie, George Riggle, John Reed, Henry Speers, Mathew Spane, Conrad Weaver, James Davis, and William Gibson were each assessed on distilleries.
James Innis was one of the largest land-holders among the early residents of Fallowfield township, having two tracts joining each other, and the whole body adjacent to the lands of Noah Williams, William Wood, and Daniel Preston. Sugar Camp Run was the southeastern boundary of his property, and Froman's wagon road traversed the southwestern part of the tract. This land came into Mr. Innis' possession under Virginia certificate, and in 1788 he was assessed upon six hundred and ninety-six acres.
In the survey book of 1780 for Yohogania County is a map of the tract of land granted to William Wood in that year. In the map the land of Nicholas Plattor is located next to his tract, but just across Innis' Run. The Graybill tracts and that of Daniel Preston are opposite Sugar Camp Creek, and lies between the two streams. Mr. Wood's name does not appear among the Fallowfield assessment, nor in any place later than the survey mentioned.
"Pleasant Flat" was the name of the tract of land that was warranted to Amos Bailey on Feb. 17, 1785, and surveyed to him May 29th following. It contained one hundred and seventy-five acres, and was located near the property of Isaac Powell, John Adams, and Joseph Brown.
The tract of land surveyed to Henry Krepps, March 1, 1786, by virtue of a certificate which had been granted to him by the commissioner's of Virginia, was called "Maiden Head," and contained four hundred and twenty-six acres. It was located near the lands of Alexander Hill, Philip Miller, and Thomas Carson.
Frederick Cooper was a native of Germany, and emigrated to this country before 1770, and settled in Frederick County, Va., where he lived in 1771. On the 20th of April in that year he came to this county and purchased a tract of land (quantity not mentioned ) of Andrew Devore, described as "one certain tract or parcel of land lying on the north side of the Monongahela, and bounded by lands of Paul Froman and James Devore." This tract he retained about a year and in April, 1772, he sold it to Abraham Miller, who sold it to Samuel Devore, May 22,1777, by whom it was conveyed September 1st of the same year to Joseph Beckett. When Cooper came here he left a wife and three children, John Polly and Betsy in the East. The Indians became so troublesome that after the sale of the property he returned to the East and remained several years. In the mean time his wife died, and he married Elizabeth Kyle, and soon after came back to this county with his family. He purchased a tract of land containing two hundred and eighty-seven acres which had been warranted on the 17th of April, 1769, to Jacob Froman, and surveyed under the name of "Wrangle" The warrant was returned to Frederick Cooper on the 27th of December, 1784. Here he lived until his death. The following in reference to the family is taken from historical sketches of early families written by Dr. J. S. Van Voorhis:
"Frederick Cooper, the elder, had several sons and daughters. Catharine married Thomas Ward, who built the first house in Bellevernon; Peggy married John Roland, both of whom died near Wooster, Ohio; Rebecca married Daniel Jacobs, both dead; Nancy we cannot trace; Abraham died a few years since in Guernsey County, Ohio; Frederick lived and died in the Dutch Settlement, and the late Samuel Cooper and F.K. Cooper, who now own the old homestead, were his sons; George lived and died in Ohio, and Valentine lived and died on the original Cooper homestead at the mouth of Maple Creek. He was the father of Jackman, Washington, Jehu, Frederick, and Josiah C. Cooper, also of Nancy, lately deceased, wife of Newton Van Voorhis. Narcissa married Martin Weaver; after living for a time at 'Fish Pot' removed to Huron County, Ohio, where she died many years ago, and Elizabeth married Apollas Speers. They had five sons and six daughters. Solomon C. owns and resides on a part of the 'Speers' Intent,' on which he has one of the most beautiful residences on the river. He is a proprietor of the Clipper Sand-Works, from which he sends to market vast quantities of sand of superior quality for manufacturing. Noah resides at the ferry, of which he is sole owner. Jasper died some years ago. Jacob and Henry live in Marshalltown, Iowa. Margaret married Enoch Baker, of Ten-Mile. Nancy, now deceased, married Samuel Fry; she was the mother of the wife of William Jackman, of Allen township. Mary married B.W. Johnson, nephew of the late Job Johnson, she lives in Marshalltown, Iowa, as does Clara, who married James Walker; and Sarah, who married a man by the name of Lucas."
The property located in Fallowfield township by John Reef was a tract of five hundred and nineteen acres called "Speer's Intent," and was granted to him on order No. 3255, issued with many other lots in 1769. The tract was located a little above the mouth of Maple Creek, and was surveyed Sept. 8, 1784. Upon the same date a tract of land called "Bruce," containing two hundred and fifteen acres, was surveyed to Samuel Sinclair.
The Newkirks were early settlers in this section of Washington County, and the land they owned was located in both Fallowfield and Somerset townships. A tract of land called "Agriculture," containing three hundred and eighty-six acres, which was warranted to Vincent Colvin Feb. 13, 1786, was returned by the board of property to Isaac Newkirk, who received a warrant for it February 27th of the same year. The land was next that of Vincent Colvin, Abraham Newkirk, John Wallace, and Joseph Wilson. Henry Newkirk received a Virginia certificate in 1780 entitling him to four hundred and fourteen acres of land "lying on Pigeon Creek," and adjacent to the tracts of Isaac Newkirk, the Graybill brothers, John Wallace, and John Hall. The survey of this land was made to Henry Newkirk Feb. 13, 1786, and he afterwards conveyed the land to Abraham Newkirk. The property of this family now belongs to Thomas Elwood.
William Niblick came into this township when the Newkirk family did, and like them he was of Scotch birth. He located three hundred acres of land adjoining the Newkirk tracts, where one he made a home. The family of William Niblick became widely separated. William Niblick, Jr., had a son named Thomas who went to Ohio, and William Niblick third, son of Jackson Niblick, emigrated to Illinois. In this county the name has become extinct, none of the male descendants living here. Of the daughters of William Niblick, Sr., there are several descendants: Hannah E. Leyda, of Allegheny City; Mary E. Hopkins, of the same place; William M. Richardson, Olive J. Newkirk, Joseph B. Hawkins, and Mrs. Amanda Ross being among the number.
Solomon Redd was a son of Nathaniel Redd, who kept a tavern in this section as early as 1800 and until 1820. Peter Redd, another member of the family, kept a tavern in 1816-17. Solomon lived near the mouth of Maple Creek, where he owned and operated a still-house. Thomas Redd, who was captain of the ill-fated steamboat "Lander," was also of this family and a resident of Fallowfield township. He died a few years ago near Cameron, Va.
The Cheserown (or Cheseround) family lived in Fallowfield as early as 1780. On June 27th of that year Peter Cheserown had a tract of land containing two hundred and sixty acres surveyed to him upon a Virginia certificate. It was located on the south side of Pigeon Creek, and at the mouth of Maple Run. He built both a saw-mill and a grist-mill at this place, but the grist-mill never proved of much value. Peter Cheserown sold thirteen acres of his land, a little below his own mill-site, to John Rodecker, who built a stone grist-mill, which was known as the Union mill. It is not in use now, but belongs to Hollingsworth Hout, who also owns the original Cheserown mill-site, upon which is another mill, built some thirty years ago by John A. Redd. George Cheserown lived for many years upon a farm on Pigeon Creek above Hair's mill. John Cheserown was his son.
Abraham Frye came from New Jersey to Washington County, and located on the banks of Monongahela River, near the mouth of Maple Creek, in Fallowfield township. He had a family of ten children,-Benjamin, Johnson, James, Noah, Elijah, Luke, Smith, Thomas, Polly, who married Stephen Colvin, and Hetty, who became the wife of Lott Colvin. Abraham Frye gave each of his sons a farm, but none of them are in this township. The son, Luke Frye, settled in Carroll township, near the Horseshoe Baptist Church. His son, West Frye, lives in Union township.
Samuel Frye came to this township from Virginia, in company with Henry Speers, each having married the other's sister. They were both coopers by trade, and each owned several slaves. During their early residence here, they were much annoyed by the Indians. It is not stated whether Abraham and Samuel Frye were relatives, but both names appear on the assessment-roll of 1788 as landlords. Samuel Frye's heirs still own a portion of the homestead, and Jackson and Smith Frye have two hundred and ninety-two acres of land lying on the Monongahela River. Seven acres of the original tract was sold with the mill built by Samuel Frye in 1820.
John Ringland came to this county before 1796, and settled adjoining the Fryes. Of whom he made his first purchase or how much land he bought is not known. That he was possessed of lands is shown by a deed made by the executor of William McComas for fifty-six acres "lying on the waters of Pigeon Creek, adjoining lands of Peter Chessround and other lands of John Ringland." On the 23rd of October, 1802, he purchased forty acres of Patrick McCardel on Maple Creek, adjoining lands of Henry Speer and his own other lands. On this purchase he built a mill and made his homestead, which is known as the Ringland mill farm, located on the south branch of Maple Creek. The farm (located in the present township of Allen) is now in possession of Samuel and John Frye, grandsons of John Ringland, and sons of his daughter (and his only child who lived to maturity) Isabella, who married Abraham Frye, Sept. 13, 1813. John Ringland later purchased a large amount of land in Fallowfield, and became the largest land-owner in the township. His property was inherited by his daughter Isabella, Mrs. Abraham Frye. Of her children, Samuel and John live on the Ringland mill farm, as before mentioned; Christina became the wife of Abraham Colvin, and resides in Fallowfield near the old mansion, on the Brownsville and Pittsburgh road; Henry and Absalom settled near Gallatin, Tenn.; Noah settled on a part of the Ringland farm in Fallowfield; Smith lives on the home farm of his father, Abraham Frye, Jr., was born in 1793, and where, three years later, his grandfather, John Ringland, lived, where his (Jackson Frye's) mother, Isabella Ringland, was born in 1796, and where, in 1813, Abraham Frye and Isabella Ringland were married, in the same house in which both were born.
Thomas Carson's name rightfully belongs with the first settlers in Fallowfield township. He was an Irishman by birth, and with his wife (Mary Smith) came here and took a tract of land on the waters of Maple Creek, where they lived and dies, leaving a large family of children, eleven in number. Besides attending to the improvement and tilling of their land, Thomas Carson was a shoemaker by trade, at which business made a good livelihood. During the earliest years of their residence in this township, the settlers being much annoyed by the Indians, Mr. Carson, with the rest, was often obliged to seek protection for himself and family at Burd's Fort. He died in 1816, and his farm, which has never passed out of the family, is now owned by John S. Carson. The eleven children of Thomas Carson settled as follows: the son James married and went to Ohio, where he died, and left four children, all sons. Joseph went to Ohio, and from there to Indiana. Thomas Carson, Jr., married, and Thomas G. Carson is his son. William Carson married Mary Burgess, and lived and died upon the homestead. He left eight children,-Elizabeth, Mary, John, Henry, Annie, Lucy, James, and Sarah. The daughter Sarah became the wife of Parker Scott, and had twelve daughters,- Elizabeth, Martha, Lydia, Mary, Margaret, Rebecca, Charlotte, Nancy, Emily, Lucy, Chrstiana, and Sarah, all of whom grew a womanhood and reared families of their own.
John Carson, son of Thomas Carson, Sr., married Elizabeth Springer. Their family numbered nine children, three of whom died in infancy. Of the six who reached maturity, Mary became the wife of A.J. Van Voorhis; John S. Carson married Margaret Jones; Elizabeth married Noah Frye; Sarah Ann became Mrs. Herman Almond; Margaret became the wife of Parker Carson; and Caroline married George Hazel. Only three of these children are now living. John B. Carson, still another son of the pioneer Thomas Carson, married Sarah Scott. Mary Carson, one of daughters of this first Carson family, married John Grable, the daughter Elizabeth married James Young, Ann married a man named Grable, and Charlotte became the wife of John Carson. The lineal descendants of the children of Thomas and Mary Carson, the early settlers, bearing the family name are John S. Carson, John Carson, John Carson, Jr., Washington Carson, A.J. Carson, John Carson, Alexander S. Carson, Newton Carson, Smith Carson, Lewis Carson, John D. Carson, and Jerome Carson, living in Washington County; also James, Alexander, Joseph, and Thomas Carson, of Indiana. James Hair came from Middletown, Berkeley Co., Va., into Fallowfield township in the year 1806, and located upon a tract of land on Pigeon Creek which he purchased of George Platter. He also purchased in the connection with the farm the old log mill known as Hair's mill, built on hewed logs, and no doubt the oldest water-mill on Pigeon Creek. The purchase of the mill was made Sept. 15, 1809, as set forth in a memorandum of the bargain still in existence. The mill was rude and imperfect in structure, but it had the reputation of making the best flour to be obtained in this section. A portion of the grist-mill and a saw-mill, also built by James Hair, are still standing. But of a saw-mill which he operated at another point on Pigeon Creek only the race remains. Before coming to this township James Hair was an elder in the church, and he was the founder of Presbyterian Church at Monongahela City when that place was known as Williamsport. Dr. Ralston, who was contemporary with James Hair, and before the church mentioned had been instituted, was asked how a church could be organized in Williamsport. He replied, "Elect Esquire Hair and elder, now already ordained, and go to work." They did so, and the "Old Horseshoe Bottom" congregation was swallowed up in the Presbyterian organization. On June 4, 1811, Mr. Hair was appointed to the office of justice of the peace. He continued to reside upon his purchase in this township until his death in 1826. His family consisted of six sons and five daughters. John Hair was the oldest son. For many years he lived at the mill, but finally moved to Ohio, where he was the founder of the village of West Union. He died there in 1855. the Rev. Samuel Hair, another son, was born in this township at the Hair homestead. He graduated from Jefferson College in this county in 1832, and then went to Michigan, where he pursued his studies in theological seminary. He was licensed to preach by the Monroe Presbytery of Michigan, and settled in that State. His death occurred May 10, 1876, in Chicago, Ill. The other sons of James Hairwere James, Jr., Gilbert M., Uriah, and B.W. Hair. The daughters of James Hair were Martha, who became Mrs. Crouch, and went west; Ibela, who became Mrs. Baker, and lived and died on the home farm; Eliza, who became Mrs. Potter, and lived in Allegheny County, in this State; Louisa, who was Mrs. Brinton, and died near Brownsville, Fayette Co., in 1875; and Mary, the wife of Isaac Van Voorhis, who died April 14, 1876, in the eightieth year of her age.
Edward Nixon, a native of Ireland, and his family settled in this section upon land near the river, but afterwards went to Virginia, locating upon the flats of Grave Creek, near Moundsville. There were several children. The son John settled in Fallowfield township; Robert went to Indiana County, Pa.; James went to Virginia; and Hugh and William went to Ohio. Frances Nixon married Jonathan West, and settled in this township, where she died.
The early taverns of Fallowfield were kept by the following-named persons at the dates given:¹ Zachariah Beall, in April, 1782; John Adams, in July, 1782; Joseph Brenton, in December, 1782; Samuel Large, in January, 1788; John Adams, in September, 1790 (John Adams was also keeping tavern in Pike Run township in September, 1791, after the township lines were charged); James McMillan, in March, 1793; James McCallister, in March, 1794; Isabella McCallister, in October, 1810; the time in which taverns were kept by Nathaniel Parkison and Nathaniel Redd extended from the year 1800 to 1820; and Peter Redd kept tavern in the township during the years 1816-17.
Not much information is to be gained concerning the primitive business interests of Fallowfield township, save that of the farming and general improvement done by the early settlers. However, considerable whiskey must have been manufactured in the township and its immediate vicinity, as Mr. Edward West says "that at one period of his life he could stand on the bill where his father's farm lay and see the smoke from nineteen distilleries in active operation." As early as 1783, Fallowfield township paid a State tax which amounted to £50, and it was the only township in Washington County that paid such a tax in that year, the county commissioners in the report of their session held that year stating that "they did exonerate and discharge the inhabitants of each township from the payment of the State tax, except a few inhabitants in Fallowfield township, which the commissioners allowed should pay a State tax, for reasons known to them, which amounts to £50." Benjamin White was the assessor of Fallowfield township for 1783, Nathan Ellis collector, and the amount of the county tax £94 10s.
Jones Town Post-office, in Fallowfield township, is a place named in honor of John Jones, and is located on land patented to a Mr. Longsley. John Jones died in this place at the age of ninety years, and his father, William Jones, was one hundred years old at his death. This village contains nine dwellings, and has one store, a school-house, and a blacksmith-shop, first owned by Samuel Withrow and afterwards by Isaac Grimes. A post-office was established here in 1857, with Edward Creighton as postmaster, and he still continues in the position. This office was at one time discontinued but soon re-established.
Lock No. 4 is situated on the Monongahela River, and has eleven dwellings, besides the store of McGorrell & Allen, the post-office, and telegram-office. ¹ The dates being those of license found in records.
Churches.- The religious society in this township now known as the Maple Baptist Church was originated under the title of "Baptist Church Enan," and was in existence as early as March 19, 1791. At that time its members were John Bailey, William Jackman, Sr., Stephen Barclay, Henry Speer, Samuel Vail, Charles Whitlatch, William Jackman, Jr., Abraham Evans, James Deems, James Watson, Jesse Vandolah, John Mason, Nathan Ellis, Aaron Boylan, John Seward, John Ennis, William Allen, John Vandolah, Thomas Crow, John Earles, Nathaniel Carns, Thomas Carson, George Innis, John Stelle, William McFee, Thomas Cloud, B. George, Mary Barclay, Rebecca Speers, Margaret Ellis, Rachel Mifford, Mary Jackman, Nancy Neal, Sarah Boylan, Nancy Bailey, Margaret Innis, Catherine Seward, Abigail Hayden, Sarah Vandolah, Elizabeth Bonham, Margaret Earles, Winifred Ryan, Lavina Stelle, Eleanor Ellis, Esther Vandolah, Anna Vandolah, Mary Carson, Mary Ward, Mary Burgess, Lucy Burgess, Elsie Stanish, Jemima Evans, Mary Patton, Rachel Springer, Peggy Cloud, Elizabeth Yateman, Keziah Berk, Abigail Ogg, Polly Carns, Elizabeth Burgan and Elizabeth Burgan (2d), Keziah Barkhammer, Rebecca Prichard, Sarah Parsons, Mary Ertlin, Nancy Riggs, Rachel Springer, Catherine Rutan, and Mary Karnes.
The first business meeting of this church was held on March 19, 1791, when Church Enan met agreeable to appointment, and after prayer proceeded to business as follows: First, chose Elder Smith as moderator; second, chose Brethren John Bailey and William Jackman, Sr., to supply the places of deacons for the ensuing day." At another meeting, held Feb. 4, 1792, Rev. Samuel Vail as chosen moderator; and on Aug. 6, 1796, Messrs. Speers, Rutan, Whitlatch, Jackman, Yateman, and Carson, members of the society, were appointed messengers to attend a Baptist Association soon to be held. On Sept. 3, 1796, the records show that Joseph Hill was accepted as a member of the church. Nov. 1, 1800, this church "gave Brothers Speers and Rutan the privilege of choosing six other brethren to settle their church business at the residence of Brother Jackman on the second Wednesday in December, 1800. The six men chosen were Rev. John Corbly, Matthias Luce, William Davis, Joseph Hill, J. Jones, and A. Kearns."
The services of the Baptist Church Enan were originally held in a log house, which was succeeded by a brick building, located near its mouth, and at the Monongahela River, opposite the village of Belle Vernon, in Fayette County. It was built during the pastorate of Rev. Henry Speers, and upon a tract of land containing one hundred and forty-eight perches, donated by him in 1842. After the society obtained the present site for their church, the brick building was sold to the grandchildren of Rev. Henry Speers, and it is one occupied by several families. The old graveyard belonging to the church is still used. The society now worship in a frame edifice erecting near the house of John S. Carson, and upon land owned by him.
The clergymen who have officiated in this church since its origination have been Revs. Henry Smith, Henry Speers, Mr. Barnett, Whitlatch, and Adah Winnett. No minister has charge of the society at present, but services are conducted occasionally by Rev. William M. Smoots. The removal of this Baptist Curch to Carson's Ridge occurred about the year 1870, and the new house of worship was erected in 1875. Rev. Adah Winnett was the officiating pastor at the time; he conducted the dedication of the building, and continued his pastoral duties here until he was stricken with paralysis while officiating in the pulpit. The church, as stated, is a frame structure, thirty-two by forty feet in size, and one story in height. A new burial-ground was platted, which is called Carson's graveyard. The first interment was that of Mrs. Margaret Jones Carson, wife of John S. Carson, who died Dec. 16, 1870, at forty-three years of age.
On Jan. 18, 1800, Christian Stockers sold to the trustees of the Presbyterian and German Lutheran societies, both of which then existed in Fallowfield township, one acres of land, for which he received a consideration of seven shillings and sixpence. This acre was from the tract of land called "Carlisle," for which an application was made May 23, 1769, by Stockers through William Wilson. After becoming possessed of the land Wilson conveyed it to Stockers, who obtained a patent for it June 2, 1794. Upon this land, purchased of Christian Stockers, the Presbyterian and Lutheran societies erected church buildings. At the present time the site of the Presbyterian Church is only marked by the ruins of the building and the old graves in the churchyard. The Lutheran organization was removed to Ginger Hill. Their old church was purchased by Frederick K. Cooper, and it is used as a dwelling-house.
The church building of the society called the Newkirk Methodist Church was erected in the year 1836, upon land owned jointly by Cyrus Newkirk and William Niblack. It was built of brick; and after a few years was taken down and rebuilt upon a site farther up the hill. The subscription for this church was started by Samuel Babcock, and was so successful that a commodious brick church, forty-four by sixty feet in size, was the result of the effort. The first great revival held by this denomination in Fallowfield township was under the charge of Rev. John Spencer and David Cross, and among the early converts were John Jones, Sarah Newkirk, Maria Niblack, Mary Jones, Elijah Jones, Jesse Jones, Eleanor Jones, William Jones, and his wife, and Annie K. Bentley.
The Maple Creek Christian Church in Fallowfield township was organized Oct. 17, 1857, by James B. Piatt and Samuel B. Teagarden. The early members were Samuel and Anne Frye, Abraham and Isabella Frye, Jackson Frye, Sarah A. Frye, Clarissa Frye, Solomon and Charlotte Frye; Noah and Lydia Frye, John and Elizabeth Frye, Christian Colvin, John Merrick, Mary Merrick, John and Hannah Rider, Joseph and Charlotte Rider, Rebecca J. Shannon, Louisiana Cooper, Sarah Phillips, David McCracken, Mary McCracken, Joseph McCracken, Elizabeth and Amelia Phillips, A. Hendrickson, Amanda Thompson, Martha Stillwell, and Emma McGlaughlan.
Samuel Frye and John Merrick were chosen elders of the church, the former of whom has labored much "in word and doctrine," being the regular instructor of the congregation during most of the time since the organization. John Frye is now associated with him in the eldership. John Frye and John Rider were the earlier deacons. John Wilson and John B. Carson now officiate as deacons.
For ten years the church met for worship in the school-house where it was organized. In August, 1867, Dutton Shannon and wife gave a lot containing twenty-two and seventy-nine one-hundredths perches, strict measure, to Abram Hull, Joseph Rider, and Dutton Shannon, trustees of the Christian Church of Fallowfield, for the purpose of erecting a house of worship, and other religious purposes, and in case it shall cease to be so used the title is to revert to the grantor. Upon this lot the present plain but commodious brick house was built, and here the church has continued to meet regularly, and it still maintains the Christian ordinances according to the primitive order.
This church has generally relied on its own eldership for public instruction, but has called in evangelists occasionally for special labor, and J.B. Piatt was employed regularly for two or three years a part of the time. Of others who have preached for this church at times since its establishment the following names are mentioned: Alanson Wilcox, L.P. Streator, M.L. Streator, J.F. Rowe, J.D. Benedict, and R.H. Singer. The present membership is sixty-two.
The Ebenezer Church of the Methodist Episcopal denomination was built more than thirty years ago, during the pastorate of Rev. Warner Long, the dedication occurring in 1850, and was conducted by Rev. Thomas Hudson. The building is of brick, erected at a cost of one thousand dollars. The ground upon which it is located was purchased of Joshua G. Baker, and the Rev. William Ward, James Shroud, and John Biddle composed the building committee. At the date of the dedication of the Ebenezer Church its members were Rev. William Ward, Pleasant Ward, Nancy Ward, Levi and Catherine Biddle, Asa and Eleanor White, John and Maria White, Wesley and Jane White, Joshua and Mary Baker, Thomas and Hester Richards, Silas and Lucinda Lutz, John and Susanna Beadle, Asbury and Ann Smith, James and Martha Shroud, Barnett and Hannah Sickman, James and Sarah Smiley. At the time the church was built Rev. Warner Long had charge of the society. Since that time the clergymen who have presided have been Revs. James Lansom, Thomas Hudson, Gustavus Lemon, Mr. Snyder, Samuel Wakefield, Mr. Neff, J.W. Kesler, John W. Weaver, Charles Edwards, T.J. Stiffey, James Meacham, Rezin Mansin, S.G. Miller, J.A. Henry, and the present pastor, Rev. E.B. Griffin.
Another religious society which once existed in Fallowfield township was known as the Maple Creek Presbyterian Church. The first church building was erected on land donated by Rachel and Mary Earel, who made provision that when the building ceased to be used for church purposes the land should revert to Andrew Waller. The first house passed into decay, and a second, built to replace it, has also been abandoned, and the site in now owned by Andrew Waller, as stipulated by the donors. One of the pastors of this church was Rev. Boyd Mercer, and one of the elders Mr. John Moss, who died July 5, 1868, in the ninetieth year of his age. After the Maple Creek Presbyterian Church abandoned their house of worship in this township they erected a handsome edifice in the village of California, which is still in use as their place of worship.
Schools.-Two of the earliest school-teachers in Fallowfield township were Thomas Sutton and Joshua Pennell. It was full seventy years ago that the latter taught school in a log house that stood at the crossroads near West Church. Thomas Sutton taught in a school-house which stood on Maple Creek, on the present farm of John S. Carson.
Upon the adoption of the new system, under the school law of 1834, the amount of money raised for school purposes in Fallowfield was $297.10, of which $115 was transferred to Carroll township, which had recently been erected from territory of Fallowfield, leaving the total for this township $182.10. In 1836 the school money of the township was $293 from the county and $66.39 from the State; total, $359.39. In 1837 the amount was reduced to $300.12. In 1863 the number of schools in the township was seven. There were seven teachers and three hundred and five pupils. During that year the school fund amounted to $1066.48, and the expenditures were $1007.25. Ten years later, in 1873, seven schools were taught by seven teachers, and two hundred and fifteen scholars were in attendance. The amount of money raised for the schools was $1470.34, and the expenses for the same were $1303.50. In 1880 the township had eight schools, employed by eight teachers, and one hundred and seventy-eight pupils were enrolled. The receipts of school money for that year were $1696.85; expenditures, $1467.78.
Justices of the Peace.¹- Following in a list of justices of the peace appointed and elected in Fallowfield since its erection, viz.:
John Parker, John Hall, east end, July 15, 1781.
John Stevenson, Patrick McCullough, west end, July 15, 1781.
John Worth, Nov. 1, 1786.
Daniel De Pue, March 12, 1793.
Henry Gregg, Feb. 7, 1796.
Andrew Boggs, Feb. 17, 1797.
Nathan Powell, Feb. 23, 1801.
Jacob Crabo, June 5, 1801.
William Irwin, June 5, 1801.
Thomas Carson, Jan 1, 1806.
Hugh Scott, July 4, 1806.
Caleb Johnston, March 29, 1808.
Jacob Van Degraff, July 11, 1809.
James Hair, April 4, 1811.
Jacob Risinger, March 29, 1813.
Robert W. Fleming, Sept. 21, 1818.
Parker Scott, May 28, 1819.
Seth Buffington, Jan. 23, 1819.
George Jackson, Dec. 8, 1823.
Stephen Hill, March 6, 1827.
William Hopkins, March 12, 1827.
Andrew Gregg, April 20, 1829.
Joseph Wells, April 24, 1834.
George McFarland, April 1, 1835.
George Passmore, Nov. 18, 1835.
Moses Bennington, Oct. 17, 1836.
James L. Morris, July 19, 1839.
James Stroud, April 14, 1840.
George Passmore, April 14, 1840.
John Rider, April 15, 1845.
Mark Mitchell, April 15, 1845.
David Mitchell, April 13, 1847.
James Stroud, April 9, 1850.
Edward Creighton, April 15, 1851.
Samuel Swabe, April 10, 1855.
Richard Richardson, April 16, 1856.
Benjamin Crow, Aug. 10, 1860.
Edward Creighton, April 9, 1861.
Washington Carson, June 3, 1865.
Edward Creighton, April 16, 1866.
Joel Grable, March 19, 1870.
Edward Creighton, April 12, 1871.
Edward Creighton, Jan. 20, 1874.
Joel Grable, Jan. 26, 1874.
Dutton Shannon, March 17, 1875.
Edward Creighton, March 16, 1876.
J.K. Sickman, March 30, 1880.
David Mitchell, April 9, 1881.
Edward Creighton, April 9, 1881.
[¹ Fallowfield was a separate and independent district until the organization of Pike Run, when that township was attached to it, and so remained until 1838, when Pike Run became an independent district. The next year it was divided into East and West Pike Run townships.]
*Boyd Crumrine, "History of Washington County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches of Many of Its Pioneers and Prominent Men" (Philadelphia: L. H. Leverts & Co., 1882).
Back to Table of Contents