Nottingham Twp. (pp. 882-887)
History of Washington County, Pennsylvania*
This was the ninth of the thirteen original townships of Washington County, formed by the trustees appointed for that purpose July 15, 1781. It retained its original area for eleven years. In 1792 a petition of "sundry of the Inhabitants of the lower end of Strabane and upper end of Nottingham townships," prayed that a part of Nottingham be added to Strabane township. The action on this petition is indicated by the indorsement upon it, ,viz.: "December, 1792--Petition granted, and that part of Nottingham township which lies within Washington Election District added to Strabane township."
On Sept. 30, 1834, the boundaries of the township were somewhat curtailed by the formation of Carroll, and on March 3, 1831, were further lessened by the erection of Union. As now constituted, Nottingham is bounded on the north by Peters, east by Carroll and Union, south by Fallowfield and Somerset, and west by North Strabane.
The township is generously drained,-in the north by the waters of Peters Creek, and in its central and southern portions by Little Mingo and Mingo Creeks, all flowing east into the Monongahela River.
Nottingham is hilly, partaking of the general topographical character of all the eastern townships. In the north along Peters Creek and in the east at Ginger Hill the hills rise with considerable abruptness, but are easily cultivated to their very summits. The township is underlaid with a vein of the valuable Pittsburgh coal; along Peters Creek it crops out at many places and it easily mined, but in the central and southern portion lies at too great a depth for present profitable development.
Nottingham Was an independent district until 1803, when it became a part of District No. 6, and so remained until 1838, when it became again an independent district. The justices of the peace for the territory of Nottingham while it remained a part of
District No.6 will be found in the list of justices of Peters township. Following is a list of justices having jurisdiction in Nottingham prior to 1803 and after 1838, the periods of its existence as an independdent district, viz.
Joseph Parkinson, July 15, 1781.
Benjamin Parkinson, July 15, 1781.
Hugh Scott, Nov. 8, 1788.
David Hamilton, Feb. 29, 1792.
George McGibbony, April 14, 1839.
George Crouch, April 14, 1840.
Samuel Morrison, April 15, 1845.
Andrew Clark, Aug. 25, 1845.
Andrew Clark, April 9, 1850.
James McNary, April 9, 1850.
James McNary,April 10, 1855.
Andrew Moore, April 10, 1855.
Andrew Clark, April, 1858.
James McNary, April, 1860.
David Hootman, April, 1863.
Jonathan Cosebeer, April 11, 1865.
Andrew Clark, April 11, 1865.
David Hootman, Jr., May 5, 1866.
Jonathan Cosebeer, Nov. 30, 1870.
Andrew Clark, April 15, 1673.
Andrew Clark, Jan. 28, 1874.
Jonathan Cosebeer, Jan. 31, 1874.
David Hootman, March 17, 1875.
Jonathan Cosebeer, March 16, 1876.
George McGibbony, March 13, 1880.
Andrew McDonald, April 9, 1881.
Settlements.-Hugh Scott was one of the earliest settlers in this township. He Was a son of Abram Scott, born in Chester County (now Adams) in 1726. He married Miss Janet Agnew, and lived on the Millerstown road, about five miles from Gettysburg, Pa. In 1772 he came to the territory of Washington County with his brother Josiah (who settled in what is now South Strabane), and settled on a tract of land now in possession of his grandsons, J. K. and H. C. Scott. Hugh Scott was a blacksmith, and in that year built a blacksmith shop on Mingo Creek, almost opposite the residence of his grandson. He was one of the commissioners appointed to purchase a site for the county court-house and jail in 1781. A man of great piety and influence, he was one of the signers of the "Religious Agreement" written by James Edgar, and one of the founders and first elders in the Pigeon Creek Presbyterian Church He died at his home, Oct. 11, 1819, aged ninety-three years. His wife died Oct. 9, 1814, aged seventy-seven. They were both buried in the Pigeon Creek grave-yard. Their children were Abraham, James, Hugh, Josiah, John, Rebecca (Mrs. George Vanemen), Margaret (Mrs, Ramsey), Sarah (Mrs. Jordan ), and Elizabeth (Mrs. Todd). The three last settled hear Steubenville, Ohio. Of the sons, Abraham and James returned to Adams County when young men, and settled there. George K. Scott, an early teacher and merchant of Washington, was a son of Abraham. Hugh, the third son of Hugh, emigrated to Newark, Ohio, where he settled and died. Josiah settled on the homestead, and died there. His grandchildren now occupy the place. He married Jane, a sister of Daniel Darragh. He died of cholera in 1834, and was buried in Mingo churchyard. Mrs. Thomas Weir and Mrs. A. D. Scott, of Washington, Ill., are his children,
John, the youngest son of Hugh Scott, Sr., married Martha Patterson, and settled in the town of Washington. They both died of cholera in 1834. Of his children, three are now living, - Dr. John Scott, of Pittsburgh, J. Randolph Scott, of Washington, Ill., and Mrs, Robert Officer, of Council Bluffs, Iowa.
Among the Hessian soldiers captured at Trenton by Washington's army was a boy names Andrew Devore. He, entertaining no love for the English, and detesting his prince for having sold him and his comrades into the service of a foreign potentate, refused to avail himself of an exchange of prisoners, and with a number of others enlisted in the American army, and in the summer of 1782 came to Nottingham township, where he settled on a farm named in the Pennsylvania patent which he received in 1784 "Up and Down." A portion of the original tract is still owned by his grandson, James Devore. In 1792 he erected a distillery on Mingo Creek, and operated it continuously until 1794, when it was seized by the government for non-payment of the excise. Devore died in 1834 at the age of seventy-six.
Benjamin Parkinson, famous in the annals of the Whiskey Insurrection as one of the leaders, resided in Nottingham township near Kammerer from 1792 until the time of his death in 1834 Parkinson was of English descent, his father having emigrated about the middle of the eighteenth century and settled in the Cumberland valley near Carlisle, where Benjamin Parkinson was born in 1750. Shortly after the close of the Revolutionary war Parkinson came to Washington County and settled. In 1792 he built for himself a dwelling-house and tavern stand on his farm, acquired several years previous both by Virginia certificate and Pennsylvania patent. His home and tavern stood on the "Glades road," eight and one-half measured miles from Parkinson's Ferry, and is now occupied as a residence by Mr. William Gamble, who is also owner of a portion of the farm. At the same time he built a distillery, and in 1795 a blacksmith-shop just west of the tavern. This still, of one hundred gallons capacity, was seized for non-payment of the excise on Nov. 14, 1794. John Coulson was the first smith in charge of the shop, and was succeeded by David Hootman, Parkinson's son-in-law. The "Buck Tavern," the name of the stand, to the management of which he gave his personal attention, was famous for its hospitality, its table, and good liquor.
Benjamin Parkinson died Oct.26, 1834, at the advanced age of eighty-four, and lies buried in the graveyard of Pigeon Creek Presbyterian Church, a plain stone slab covering his grave.
David Hamilton Esq., was born in Adams (then York County, Pa., in 1759. He removed with his father's family at an early period, and became possessor of the tract of land known as Ginger Hill. He was commissioned a justice of the peace in 1792, and for more than forty years continued in this office, filling it with more than ordinary acceptability and efficiency. His name occurs quite frequently in the historical records of the insurrection. That he took an active part in that great popular uprising is not to be denied. But there is no evidence that he approved of any of the acts of violence committed. Though he was present at the burning of Neville's house, the only connection in which his name appears is in the performance of an act of humanity. In his history, H.M. Brackenridge, relating the manner in which Neville's brother-in-law, Maj. Kirkpatrick, who commanded the soldiers within the house, escaped, states: "Kirkpatrick, after being carried some distance under guard, was taken by David Hamilton behind him on horseback; when thinking himself protected, he began to answer those who came up occasionally with indignant language, when Hamilton said to him, 'You see I am endeavoring to save you at the risk of my own safety, and yet you are making it still more dangerous for me.' On this he was silent, and being carried some distance further by Hamilton, he was advised to make his escape, which be did." Subsequently, when Hamilton was deputed by a committee of the people to go to Pittsburgh and return the pistols taken from Marshal Lenox and require the fulfillment of what had been agreed upon on his part, it is testified by a witness under oath that "Hamilton consented to go in order to prevent the people from coming in themselves and doing mischief, for there was danger of their going in at that time." These and similar references show that however strenuous may have been his opposition to the excise law, his influence was on the side of order and humanity. Though some attempts were made toward the close of the insurrection to apprehend him, he was successful in evading their efforts, and without further molestation spent the remainder of his life in peace.
He was married in early life to Margaret Hamilton, niece of Col. John Hamilton, a lady in whom were singularly combined the refined manners of the East and the hardihood of the West. She lived to the advanced age of ninety-six, dying in 1872. It is related of her that she crossed the mountains to and fro between Adams and Washington Counties seventeen times, and always on horseback, except on her last trip. Five of Esquire Hamilton's sisters married husbands who established families well known in the county. Their names were Wylie, McDonough, Scott, Bolton, and Barr. Two of his brothers, Daniel and John, settled in Kentucky. Whatever hot blood may have coursed in his veins in youth, his age presented the picture of a mild and courteous gentleman, an intelligent and useful citizen, and an exemplary Christian. For more than fifty years he was a member in full communion in the Presbyterian Church. At his death, which occurred May 10, 1839, in his eightieth year, he bequeathed half of his estate to the educational charities of that church. Providence denied to this worthy couple the gift of children. They sleep side by side in the old Mingo graveyard.
James Morrison received a Virginia certificate for a tract of land "containing four hundred and thirty-eight acres on the waters of Mingo Creek." He came to this country in 1773 with his two sons, John and Henry, from Chester County, Pa. Henry was a
lieutenant in the Revolution. He died at the age of eighty-two. His son, Henry Morrison, Sr., and grandson, Henry, Jr., still reside on part of the old homestead. John Morrison, a son of Henry, lived on the farm also, and his son, Maj. William H. Morrison, resides in Monongahela City. James Morrison, one of the sons of James, sold his portion of the estate about 1869, and now lives with James W. Gaston, of Union township.
William Scott emigrated from Ireland with his wife and his children,-John, Thomas, Alexander, Joseph, Mary, Fanny, Elizabeth, and Angel. John married Margaret McNary. John, son of John, settled in Somerset township, where he was justice of the peace for fifteen years from 1854. He sold his farm in 1869 to Jeremiah Myers, and removed to Washington, where he still resides. Rebecca, daughter of John, Sr., married Martin Baile, and moved to Belmont County, Ohio, Thomas married Margaret Rodgers, and settled in the township. Alexander married Gertrude Kerr. They settled in the township for a time and emigrated to Tuscarawas County, Ohio. Joseph, brother of John, Thomas, and Alexander also emigrated to Ohio,
About 1804, Daniel Williams built a saw-mill on the farm now owned by Harman Raney. It was destroyed by fire several years later, and never rebuilt. In 1807, John Kenton built a tannery on Mingo Creek, east of Dunningsville, and in 1819 leased it to William McGregor, Esq., who had learned his trade in Washington with Christopher Hornish. In 1828, Mr. McGregor and William Barr bought the tannery from Kenton, who then moved to Indiana. Among the many apprentices who learned their trade with McGregor and Barr was Col. William Hopkins, the father of the late Andrew Hopkins, Esq., of Washington, and Hon. James H. Hopkins, of Pittsburgh.
In 1830, Robert and John Scott came from Pittsburgh and built a steam saw- and grist-mill on the Devore farm on Mingo Creek. It was kept in active operation until 1846, when it was destroyed by fire.
From 1827 to 1836 Charles Farquar ran a tannery on Mingo Creek, on the farm of the late Hiram Warren. Adam Devore, a son of Andrew, established, in 1830, a tannery on the farm now owned by John Gamble, Esq., and kept it running continuously until 1853, when it was dismantled. George Miller built a tannery on his farm about 1830, but about 1845 it was abandoned. Now no traces of any of these establishments remain.
Dunningsville.-On the 10th of December, 1791, Alexander Scott bought of Joseph and Alexander Campbell a tract of land, embracing the present site of Dunningsville, which tract had been purchased in 1788 by the Campbells from Nicholas Vaneman, who had warranted it from the land-office March 23, 1786. The "Glades road" passed through the tract, and on this road, in 1798, Scott built a dwelling and store, the site of which is now occupied by the residence of James Leyda. In 1801-2, Scott built a horse grist-mill opposite his house, and a year or two subsequent a tavern stand just east of the Leyda homestead, and west of it a blacksmith-shop. Having installed William Sheets in the blacksmith-shop, and a certain John Kehoe in the tavern, Scott gave his personal attention to keeping store and grinding his neighbors' grain.
Scott, who was an Englishman by birth, was a strong Tory during the war of 1812, and this greatly incensed the patriotic citizens of the vicinity, and his life was openly threatened. Scott being frightened, and believing the threats would be carried into execution, fled to Washington and subscribed to the oath of allegiance
In 1835, Scott removed to Ohio, having sold his farm, tavern, and store to John Dunning, who for many years previous had been a wagoner on the road. After taking possession of his purchase, Dunning succeeded in having the little village made a post-town, and from him it derives its name. He was its first postmaster, having been appointed in 1830, and continued in office until his death. During the time of Dunning the sign of his tavern was two gold keys crossed. And the "Crossed Keys" was a famous tavern in its day, as its landlord was the typical landlord of the road. He died Sept. 7, 1843, and lies buried in the graveyard of Pigeon Creek Presbyterian Church.
After Dunning's death, a man named Bell kept the tavern, the farm having been purchased from the executors of the estate by Dr. Boyd Emery, who subsequently sold it and the tavern to Aaron Brawdy, under whose administration the tavern was destroyed by fire in 1858. Mr. James Leyda bought the property from the assignee of Mr. Brawdy, and is its present owner.
In 1863, William Welch built a wagon-shop, and John Dornan the same year built the present blacksmith-shop of the place. Both came from Pittsburgh, and are still engaged in their respective pursuits.
The postmasters intervening between Dunning and Thomas H. Long, appointed in 1858, have not been ascertained, but following the latter have been John T. Sumny, W.H. Hickson, and John Caseber. A.C. Gamble, appointed in 1875, continues to hold the office.
Kammerer.-This village is located on a tract of eighty-five acres, which was patented by George Meyers, March 12, 1788, and which by subsequent transfers became the property of William McFeeley, who owned it in 1832, it being at that time under lease to Thomas Officer, who placed John Kammerer upon it. Kammerer built a dwelling and store-room upon it, and April 1, 1841, bought the farm and buildings he had erected from the owner, McFeeley. Shortly afterwards he built a tavern stand, which before the war of the Rebellion was a place of great
resort, and known far and wide as "Dutch John's." In 1845, on Mingo creek, near the site of the old Leyda mill, built in 1790, he built a saw- and grist-mill, which was burned on Sept. 22, 1850, and rebuilt the following year. Mr Kammerer died at his home in 1856, and in 1859 his son Joseph built his distillery and kept it in continuous operation until 1871. In 1881 a partnership was formed between Joseph Kammerer, Christian Hootman, and John Leyda, for the purpose of manufacturing liquors. The old saw-mill, built in 1851, was changed into a distillery, to which was given the name of Mingo. In connection with his distillery business, Joseph Kammerer conducts an extensive country store, and is the postmaster of the village.
Munntown is located on a tract of land named in the survey "Medina," which was patented to John Munn, Sr., Oct, 29, 1790. He sold it May 4, 1793, to David Munn, from whom the place takes its name. A small village grew up on Munn's land, and a post- office was established here in 1843, Samuel Hamilton being the first postmaster. The office Was afterwards removed to Thomas' store, on the Pittsburgh Southern Railroad. Mr. Thomas was appointed postmaster, and still continues in the office.
Ginger Hill, a small village on the Washington and Monongahela City pike, in Southeastern Nottingham, on the Carroll line, has enjoyed a "local habitation and a name" ever since the time of the Whiskey Insurrection. On the night of Nov. 14, 1794, Robert Johnson, excise collector for Washington and Allegheny Counties, seized the still of Squire David Hamilton, who lived near the site of Ginger Chapel. The squire was a shrewd Scotchman, and pretended to be in no way exercised over the action of the government officials. It was a dark disagreeable night, and the road to Parkinson's ferry being none of the smoothest, the officers were easily prevailed upon to remain under the hospitable roof of Hamilton. Around the glowing logs of the backwoods fire Hamilton and his guests discussed the excise law, the conversation being enlivened by oft-repeated draughts from
"Black Betty," which had been previously "doctored" by Hamilton with a liberal quantity of Jamaica ginger. One by one the officials dropped from their chairs until all lay on the floor in the deep sleep of intoxication. Hamilton speedily gathered his neighbors, and taking the still and whiskey carried them many miles across the country to a place of safety. This action, which now would be a serious matter, was then regarded as a good joke, and the place became known as "Ginger Hill." Such at least is the tradition.
At this time a man named Arbuckle kept a tavern opposite the home of Hamilton, and after this occurrence gave it the name of "Ginger Hill Inn." About 1796, David Hamilton purchased Arbuckle's stand, and the following year a competing one was established by James McFlister, to which he gave the name of Black Horse," and there was a strong and even bitter rivalry between these two taverns for many years.
Jacob Meyers about 1820 built a tavern on the Glades road just east of the village of Kammerer to which he gave the name of "Olive Inn." The first landlord was Alexander Reynolds, and his successors in order were Joseph Butler, William McCune, Thomas Officer,____ Poole, Alexander Campbell, John Kammerer, and Daniel Meyers, eldest son of Jacob. Daniel Meyers was succeeded by his brother David, who abandoned the business in 1860, but still occupies the stand as a dwelling.
Churches.-Wright's Chapel, in Northeast Nottingham, on Peters Creek, was built by Enoch Wright, who was a member of the Baptist Church, and his chapel was intended as a place of worship for members of that sect, but by reason of internal dissensions he became in 1835 a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. During the time the chapel was used by the Baptists, Rev.. Shadreck was the minister in charge, and under Methodist administration the Revs. Pershing, Samuel Wakefield, George Crook, David McCready, John Snyder, William Ward, M.M. Sweeny, and Thomas Patterson have been among the number of clergymen in charge. The Conference of Butler in 1881 assigned Rev. George A. Sheets to the congregation which numbers one hundred and fifty-seven. The trustees are Thomas Robb, Nathan Crouch, James N. Barkley, Alexander G. Hopkins, John Means, Charles Grant, D.M. Anderson, Robert Barkley, and Samuel Devore; Stewards, Nathan Crouch, Robert Barkley, Thomas Robb, and D.M. Anderson. The chapel building and lot on which it stands was willed by Enoch Wright to his son Joseph, a Methodist clergyman, who at his death gave it to the Methodist Church, to have and to hold so long as it was kept free from debt and adding the additional clause that all religious bodies were to have free use of the church, providing they were not pro-slavery
The Mount Prospect United Presbyterian Church at Munntown was organized in January, 1860, by the orders of the Presbytery of Chartiers, which convened that year at Canonsburg. Rev. Thomas Balph was the first pastor, and served until May 1, 1869, when he was succeeded by the Rev. J.P. Davis, the present pastor. Since its organization Thomas Rankin, James Fife, Ezra Patterson, Mitchell Bryant, John Templeton, Richard Fife, John Bower, John Watson, and J.C. Mathews have been elected elders, The Sabbath- school has been successively under the superintendency of John Templeton, J.C. Mathews, John Watson, and Daniel Crouch.
The Presbyterian Church of Fairview, also at Munntown, was organized by order of the Presbytery of Ohio, on the petition of James McClain, Esq., and at the instance of Robert McPherson, J. Hazlett, and Rev. C.C. Braddock. On the 24th day of February the organization was perfected, with twenty-one members, in the district school-house, which building was occupied as a place of worship until the completion of the church edifice the subsequent fall. The Revs. George Marshall, James Black, George Birch, S.M. Neebling, and John Aiken filled the pulpit as supplies until Sept. 1, 1864, when the Rev. John Ewing was called. He was almost immediately followed by the Rev. Gray, and the latter was succeeded Sept. 1, 1864, by Rev. William Hannah. Rev. Hannah resigned April 1, 1869, and for the three following months Rev. William Brown was in charge. On Sept. 1, 1869, Rev. Wasson was installed, and was succeeded Sept. 1, 1872, by Rev. J.F. Hyde. On September, 1879, Rev. O.A. Rockwell succeeded the latter, and the congregation has since then been in the pastoral care of that clergyman. Since the organization S. Thomas, James Kerr, Jonathan Caseber, John P. Cochran, William Rees, Josiah Kerr, John Crouch, and George Smith have been elected to the office of elder. The superintendent of the Sabbath-school is John Crouch. The church has a membership of one hundred and eight, with a Sabbath-school attendance of forty-three.
In 1868 the Methodists of Southeastern Nottingham erected a chapel at Ginger Hill. The building was completed in the summer of 1868, and dedicated in November of that year, the Rev. James R. Mills preaching the dedicatory sermon. It was given the name of Edwards Chapel, in honor of the first pastor, Rev. Charles Edwards. Succeeding Mr. Edwards the pastors in charge have been the Revs. James Meachem, R.B. Mansell, Samuel G. Miller, W.J. Kessler, Joseph H. Henry, and E.B. Griffith, who was assigned the charge in 1881 by the Conference of Butler. The trustees have been William Jones, Andrew Griffith, John Hess, William McKindry Nicholson, Zebulon Hess, Jesse Jones, and William Griffith. Stewards, John Kahle and Andrew Griffith. Sabath-school superintendents, Andrew Griffith, David Sumny, Homer Burgett, and William Jones. The church has a membership of one hundred and four, and a Sabbath-school attendance of thirty-one.
Schools.--About 1790 a man named "Forgee" Johnson came from the East and became a school-teacher in Nottingham township. He "taught round" for several years until 1798, when a school-house was built on Mingo Creek on the farm of Andrew Devore, and near where the present School No. 1 now stands. The schools taught by Johnson were "subscription schools," a plan which was universal in this section of country prior to the enactment of the public school law in 1834. In that year Nottingham township sent John Morrison as a delegate to attend the county convention held on 4th of November to decide upon the acceptance or rejection of the provisions of the school law. Mr. Morrison voted in favor of it and Nottingham accepted the provisions and shared in the first State appropriation issued to the county Jan. 12, 1835.
Election of school directors was held at tho Mingo school-house March 20, 1835, and H. Dunlap and G. McGibbony were elected, and soon after laid out the township into school districts, selected sites and erected school-houses. In that year (1835) there were three hundred and fourteen taxables in the township liable to school tax, and the amount collected was $258.63. There was collected in 1836 from the county $502, and received from the State $101.42. In 1837, $319.26 was collected. The township in 1863 had five school districts (which remain unchanged), two hundred and thirty-four scholars. Total receipts for school purposes, $723.17; expenditures, $629.17. In 1837 there were two hundred and twenty-five scholars. Total receipts, $1539.02; expenditures, $1141.30. In 1880, two hundred and one scholars; receipts, $1149.60; expenditures, $903.03.
REV. LUKE J. WASSON
Rev. Luke J. Wasson was born in the County Antrim, Ireland, October, 1846, the youngest in a family of six children of Hugh and Elizabeth (McQeety) Wasson. The family emigrated to this country when he was two years old, and settled in the township of Robinson, Washington Co., where both his father and mother died.
He received his academic education at Cander, where he prepared for the Junior Class in Jefferson College, which he entered in 1863, and was graduated from that institution in 1865, he prosecuted his theological studies at the Western Theological Seminary, Allegheny City, from which institution he was graduated in 1868. He was licensed to preach by the Presbytery of Allegheny City. Soon after leaving the seminary he received a call as pastor to the church of Long's Run, at Calcutta, Columbiana Co., Ohio. After preaching there one year, during. which time (April 26, 1869) he was ordained by the Presbytery of New Lisbon, he returned the call as not accepted.
June, 1870, he united with the Pittsburgh Presbytery, and was installed pastor of the church of Fairview Oct. 12, 1870, from which he was released on account of ill health April, 1873. During the early part of that summer he went west in the expectation of regaining his health, but while at Minneapolis was suddenly called by the Master to his reward June 13, 1873, in twenty-sixth year of his age.
He was united in marriage to Jennie daughter of James and Esther (Watson) Crawford, Nov. 5, 1868, the year he began his ministerial labors. Mrs. Wasson was a descendant on her mother's side of the Watson family. William Watson, her great-grand- father, was a soldier in the war of the Revolution. He emigrated from County Down, Ireland, first settled in Lancaster County, and was one of the first settlers in the "backwoods," Washington County. Her mother is the only representative of the Watson family living. Alice G. and Frances C. are the only children of the Rev. and Mrs. Wasson. We cannot more appropriately close this brief sketch than by quoting the following, taken from the minutes passed Sept. 24, 1873, by the Pittsburgh Presbytery:
"As a man he was much respected; as a laborer for Christ he was diligent and consecrated; and as a preacher earnest and successful. Among his late parishioners his character and ministry are held in fond and grateful remembrance."
*Boyd Crumrine, "History of Washington County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches of Many of Its Pioneers and Prominent Men" (Philadelphia: L. H. Leverts & Co., 1882).
Transcribed by Liz DuBois of Bremerton, WA in April 1998. Published in May 1998 on the Washington County, PA USGenWeb pages at http://www.chartiers.com.
Back to Table of Contents